In Suffolk, the Mothers' Union runs a wide range of projects reaching out in the community. AFIA - Away From It All - holidays is one of the big projects run by the Diocese, but many branches and individuals are very active supporting their local communities.
These are projects that are ongoing in our Diocese:
- Supporting the Women's refuges in Ipswich and Bury St Edmunds
- Supporting the Chapman Centre and Ipswich Winter Night Shelter
- Knitting hats for the Seaman's Mission
- Christmas cards for Prisoners
- Making drain bags for Breast Clinic / Oncology Department
- Memory bags for the special care baby unit
- Knitting baby hats and making quilts for premature babies.
As well as supporting the Diocesan projects, MU branches will often strongly support their parish church or benefice churches. They may send cards to couples married in their church, and to those baptised there, or they may run or support the children's Church groups. Some branches help with Open The Book activities at their local primary school.
In addition to these activities branches may fundraise for the national and worldwide projects run by Mothers' Union.
Why not pass on our magazines - Connected and the Prayer Diary - to anyone who doesn't get a copy, and have spare copies available in your church.